Jan 25, 2013

Psalm 103:1 Study...

Revisiting one of my favorite songs: 10,000 reasons (Bless the Lord) by: Matt Redman

Have you ever listened to a worship song... even sang along to it - without giving much thought to the words you were singing? I have, but I've kind of made it my mission to not do it again! How can we 'worship' God with words we don't understand - for all we know we don't even agree with what we're singing!! How is that giving heartfelt praise to our Creator???

So I seem to recall hearing this song the first few times and was wondering what it actually meant - like what it REALLY meant... TO ME! I had an idea of what I thought it meant (I define my soul as my mind, will, & emotions. This would mean that my soul blesses the Lord by honoring Him with my thoughts, choices, & feelings), but just to make sure I was on the right track I decided to do a little word study on a verse: Psalm 103:1 says "A song of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, [bless] His holy name!

This is what I discovered:

1. A song of David.
- David means "beloved." He was the youngest son of Jesse & second king of Israel.
- Just in case you didn't know, a psalm is a sacred song or poem used in worship. 
- Worship is any way we express our love & devotion to God. From what I can see there are actually 11 different words for worship in the bible (3 greek-OT & 8 hebrew-NT) meaning bow down, honor, praise, heal, & serve... Interesting!

2. Bless
- Bless (barak) means to kneel, be adored, to praise, salute (the dictionary says: to glorify, to invoke divine care for, favor..)
- What was most interesting was that the origin of the word "bless" is: Middle English, from Old English blētsian, from blōd blood; from the use of blood in consecration (sacrifice, blood, atonement, Jesus the final sacrificial lamb dying for our sins, u know...)
- Consecration is a solemn commitment of your life or your time to some cherished purpose (to a service or a goal) according to the dictionary.
- "Bless the Lord" takes on a whole new meaning! These are things I kind of already knew, but seeing this all written out is good for my heart I think... my appreciation & adoration of Christ and what He did for me is deepening as I go deeper into His Word/Truth...

3. The LORD
- The Lord (Yĕhovah) means "Jehovah" or "the existing one." The proper name of the one true God.
- Actually the word lord comes from the Middle English loverd, lord, from Old English hlāford, from hlāfloaf + weard keeper.... which didn't mean much until I noticed one person's comment below this word on an online dictionary:
- "I heard an interview on the radio with the author of the book "white bread a social history of the store-bought loaf.: He said that the origin of the word lord is related to the person, in a position of power, who holds the bread. It was interesting to me, as a Christian, to think of Our Lord as the Bread of Life." (hmm...)

4. O my soul
- O my soul (nephesh) means living being, desire, emotion - the inner being of man -  activity of mind - activity of the will - activity of the character (so I wasn't too far off with the mind, will, & emotions definition I was taught while attending my Discipleship Training School at YWAM Denver = splendid!)
- Thought it was worth noting that the Greek word for 'soul' is 'psyche.'
- One dictionary definition of soul is: the moral and emotional nature of human beings.

5. And all that is within
- And all that is within (qereb) literally meaning  physical sense or thought and emotion

6. Me, [Bless] His holy
- Me, [Bless] His holy (qodesh) meaning holiness, sacredness, set-apartness, hallowed, consecrated (13 different words for holy throughout bible).
- Dictionary defines holy: Exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness - having a divine quality
- The origin of the word holy comes from Middle English, from Old English hālig; akin to Old English hāl whole (whole means free of defect or impairment - physically, mentally, & emotionally sound).

7. Name
- Name (shem) meaning reputation, fame, glory - name - memorial
- Defined in dictionary as: A word or phrase that constitutes the distinctive designation of a person or thing.

So this all started with a song that was stuck in my head - it's amazing the layers of truth found in the word of God! You can take one verse and either take it at face value or pick it apart and go deeper into full understanding of it - God's Word is living and active, sharper than any sword (Hebrews 4:12)! Start your day with God everyday so that you will be prepared for everything that comes your way.

What I've learned from this...

From now on when I hear the song 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord) I'm going to think:
Bless the Lord, O my soul (Commit my very soul, mind-will-emotions, to Jehovah God)
Worship His holy name (I will honor/praise His sacred name, who makes me whole)
Sing like never before, O my soul (Let Him be the focus of my every moment, everyday)

No comments:

Post a Comment